What’s the first thing many of us reach for to start our day? I’m sure for many of you Coffee is part of your morning ritual. As a practitioner I don’t necessarily have an issue with my patient’s drinking 1 to 2 cups daily (not 7!!!) as coffee does have antioxidant properties however coffee is also a diuretic therefore very dehydrating to your body/skin and most importantly highly acidic!!! Hence, making coffee the first thing you ingest in the morning is like taking in a large inflammation pill! Many of you may be familiar with visible inflammation on the surface of the body (local redness, swelling, feeling of heat, itchiness etc). But what about systemic inflammation that lingers within your body manifesting itself as joint & muscle pain, headaches & tummy issues.
Therefore how can you still enjoy your morning cup of coffee but help counteract the acidity? Reach for Warm Water & Lemon first. Drinking this simple & natural concoction may be your little piece of insurance.
Benefits of Warm Water & Lemon
- Balances the Bodies pH Levels. While lemon juice is considered acidic, it is very alkalising to the body. Once it hits the Liver one of our largest detoxification organs along with the skin, intestines & kidneys it boosts alkalinity levels. Inflammation thrives in an acidic environment but struggles in an alkaline environment. Uric acid sitting in joints causing pain and inflammation can be reduced for example by drinking lemon juice.
- Supports the Immune System. Lemon juice is high in Vitamin C and fantastic at warding off colds & the flu. Lemons also have great levels of Potassium, which controls blood pressure levels as well as brain & nerve function. 1 serve of lemon juice has 187% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C!!! Ascorbic Acid a form of Vitamin C is anti-inflammatory assisting with asthma and respiratory aliments. Vitamin C is also essential for the absorption of Iron necessary to transport oxygen around the body.
- Skin Clearance & Health. Vitamin C as previously mentioned has antioxidant properties warding off free radicals and oxidation. Oxidation occurs when cells become reactive and attach themselves to other molecules resulting in oxidative stress and free radical damage. Skin damage will manifest itself as aging (through collagen breakdown & DNA damage). PLEASE DON’T FORGET SUGAR HERE GUYS!!!!
Since lemons push out toxins from your blood, sipping lemon infused water will help keep your skin clear and decrease breakouts.
- Aids Digestion & Elimination. The citric acid found in lemon juice helps the liver produce bile. Bile is essential for the breakdown of ingested fats into fatty acids, assimilating them into the body by the GUT. Lemon juice assists with the elimination process helping to flush through toxins, mucus and wastes. Enzymes in lemon also help support the regeneration of the liver and assist with nasty bloating and heartburn.
- Aids Weight Management. Lemon Juice contains a type of fibre called Pectin which helps fight hunger cravings. Studies have concluded that individuals on alkaline diets tend to loose weight at a faster rate.
- Cortisol Lowering. Vitamin C lowers Cortisol one of our major stress inducing hormones.
- Supports the Lymph System. Starting off your day with a glass of lemon water helps fend off adrenal fatigue. When your body is dehydrated adrenal fatigue can result impairing important functions. Adrenal Fatigue can lead to toxin build up, stress and constipation amongst many. Adrenals are two small glands that sit on top of your kidneys and along with your thyroid create energy. They also secrete important hormones, including aldosterone. Aldosterone is a hormone secreted by your adrenals regulating water levels and the concentration of minerals, like sodium, in your body, helping you stay hydrated. Your adrenals are also responsible for regulating your stress response.
If you don’t already start off your day with a glass of warm water and lemon juice give it a go for a month and see changes unfold.