Hormone – “A substance that is produced by one tissue and transported to another tissue where it induces a specific physiological response”.
Hormones being chemical messages are essential for many processes within our body from growth and development to metabolism, appetite control, the female menstrual cycle to fertility. So many factors are causing havoc on our hormones these days
- Environmental toxins such as herbacides and pesticides
- Plastics especially when heated
- Cleaning products
- Household furnishing
- Chemicals in paints
- Electric magnetic fields from wifi, mobile phones etc
Females seem to suffer more significantly from the affects of hormone disruptors. This has lead to increased numbers in females with
- Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome – PCOS
- Premenstrual Syndrome – PMS
- Breast lumps and Cysts
- Mood swings
- Menstrual irregularies
- Weight gain
- Hair loss
The list goes on. Now ladies there is another hormone disruptor, one that helps us start our day, one that elicits daily pleasure —> COFFEE. Yes coffee that warm liquid that many have become addicted to!
How does coffee distrupt hormones you ask? Well coffee being a stimulant releases cortisol one of our stress hormones. Cortisol has been found to make PMS worse, increases menstrual cramps as it robs our body of the beautiful relaxing mineral -MAGNESIUM and heightens hot flushes etc.
Coffee depletes essential B Vitamins which are involved in almost every process in our body – red blood cell formation, energy production, hormone production & stabilisation, mental function & clarity, healthy skin and hair, digestive health & metabolism to mention a few.
Coffee depletes other essential vitamins such as Vitamin C (essential for immunity, skin health/repair and collagen synthesis, adrenal support). Zinc (immunity, skin health & repair, GUT health & repair). Potassium (heart, kidney, muscle, nerve & digestive system health as well as functioning). Calcium (bone & muscle health). Most importantly coffee robs our body of Magnesium an essential mineral whom’s role is in relaxing muscle (muscular-skeletal, bowel and importantly of the uterus). Hence this only contributes and worsens menstrual cramps and no one wants that right!!
Coffee when consumed in quantities of two serves or more daily robs the body of good gut bacteria and as we know all too well everything starts with a healthy MICROBIOME.
So how can you continue to enjoy your morning caffeine fix without it causing havoc on your hormonal levels?
- Start your day off with a glass of warm water and the juice of half a lemon to support liver health and its action of filtration.
- Bullet proof your coffee by adding 2 tablespoons of unsalted grass fed butter or coconut oil to lessen the affects of the caffeine
- Dont consume more than two cups of coffee daily and importantly no caffeine after 11am or 12 midday as caffeine takes up to 12 hours to clear from the body. Drinking coffee later in the day will only cause restless sleep which leads to you waking up tired and hence needing more coffee to get through your day……see its a vicious cycle.
- Think about alternative warm soothing beverages such as a cup of chai tea/latte or brewing up a Matcha latte.
So ladies there are so many factors affecting and contributing to our hormonal havoc as i mentioned above. Eating organically, choosing to use chemical free cleaning products and cosmetics and lessening hour coffee consumption are definately key!!